2000 – St Stephen Cathedral organ

October 18, 2015

2000 – St Stephen Cathedral organ

Archbishop John Bathersby blessed the Jubilee Pipe Organ on 29 October 2000

Read more

1999 – St Stephen Chapel restored

October 17, 2015

1999 – St Stephen Chapel restored

Archbishop John Bathersby solemnly dedicated the restored St Stephen’s Chapel on 5 February 1999.

Read more

1989 – St Stephen Cathedral dedication

October 16, 2015

Dedication of St Stephen Cathedral

Read more

1980 – St Stephen Cathedral restoration

October 14, 2015

Archbishop Francis Rush undertook the complete restoration, renovation and extension of the Cathedral during the 1980s

Read more

1920 – St Stephen Cathedral transepts

October 12, 2015

On 3 October 1920, Archbishop James Duhig laid the foundation stone of new transepts.

Read more

1884 – St Stephen Cathedral facade completed

October 10, 2015

1884 – St Stephen Cathedral facade completed

During the time of Archbishop Robert Dunne the top of the gable and the spires were added to the Elizabeth Street facade in 1884. Next the cathedral was enriched with stained glass and marble.

Read more

1882 – St Patrick’s Church consecrated

October 8, 2015

1882 – St Patrick’s Church consecrated

The building was consecrated on 3 December 1882 by Archbishop Dunne. A Victorian Gothic church comprising a nave and two wide side-aisles, it is constructed of local porphyry, faced with Murphy’s Creek stone. The building was designed by the Italian architect, Andrea Stombuco, who had settled in Brisbane in the 1870s.

Read more

1880 – St Patrick’s Church foundation stone

October 6, 2015

The foundation stone of the present church, in Morgan Street, was laid by Bishop O’Quinn

Read more

1874 – St Stephen Cathedral solemnly blessed and dedicated

October 5, 2015

1874 – St Stephen Cathedral solemnly blessed and dedicated

On Sunday, 17 May 1874, the still-incomplete cathedral was solemnly blessed and dedicated. It covered about a third of the area of the one first planned.

Read more

1863 – St Stephen Cathedral foundation stone

October 3, 2015

Bishop Quinn, the first bishop of the diocese, laid the foundation stone of the cathedral on the feast of St Stephen. A larger and more ornate church was envisaged than the present one but the economic depression of the mid-1860s resulted in only part of the original foundations being laid.

Read more

1860 – The first St Patrick’s Church

October 1, 2015

1860 – The first St Patrick’s Church

The first St Patrick’s Church in Fortitude Valley was a wooden structure built around 1860 with a frontage in Wickham Street, opposite where Duncan Street now adjoins it.

Read more

1859 – Brisbane became diocese

September 30, 2015

In 1859, with the appointment of Bishop James Quinn, Brisbane became a diocese and the church a cathedral.

Read more

1850 – St Stephen Chapel first Mass

September 29, 2015

Fr James Hanly celebrated the first Mass in the church on 12 May 1850 when there were just sixty Catholic families in town.

Read more

1848 – St Stephen Chapel work began

September 28, 2015

Work began on this little stone church in 1848, using a design of Gothic revival architect, AWN Pugin.

Read more